Thursday 15 July 2010

Stratford Ahoy!

I apologise in advance if this post seems a little bit jumbled up, the heat is most definitely getting to my brain.



I've been asked, and I also think I personally should celebrate the fantastic work that the journalist and photography team have been doing by posting a link to the GM Buzz they have been writing whilst here! For those of you who are Face(fail)book-literate, here's a link to the official group... right here. In the left hand corner of the page is a little section that says "30-something LINKS that have been posted" just underneath the 'Photos' section of the page. From there, there are and will be links to all of the editions of the GMBuzz newsletter that have been written. For those of you who don't know how to work Facebook or even someone who is Facebook-literate, then I am sorry, but I have no official links to the GMBuzz somehow. I hope for your sakes that it works and you can keep updated with the rest of the camp.



I'm just starting to cool off now, and bits and bobs from yesterday, memory wise, are popping back into my head.

Ooh, apparently we're due a storm. That would be refreshing...please!



We were up SO early yesterday, as in 10 past 6 early. Nichola and I went to get breakfast and found that we had enough time to sit and eat our waffles and sausages before heading over to the bus depot. It was foggy and STILL SUPER EARLY when we got to the buses, and the queueing was kind of crazy. We set off eventually, and we sat at the back with Belinda and Sarah, who are awesome and we talked about Harry Potter and ALL sorts. Belinda's parents are from England, and we had a chat about Birmingham and how she needs a heck of a lot of shoes for a wedding in her family over the summer. Offsetting the awesome people was the stack of lunch boxes on the back seat next to me. Made of polystyrene. My. Worst. Nightmare.

They were squeaking and rattling and ARG! You have no idea how traumatic that was for me. Being as I was sat on the back row, I then had to pass these bad-boy-boxes off the bus for lunch time when we arrived in Stratford. It took a lot, lets just say that.



Canadian Stratford is rather starkly different to Stratford-upon-Avon in England. My English ways and means may have tainted me, but there was a quaintness apparent in England that seemed less in Shakespeare, Canada. Either way, it was a really lovely visit.

We went to the costume/set/theatre warehouse before roaming the streets of Stratford, and it was totally awesome.



The streets were calm, shops were open and everything was warm. We went to Tim Hortons and a chocolate emporium and we had some ice cream. Chocolate and Peanut Butter...nomnomnonmom!!!!

We all trapsed through the heat to the Avon Theatre and saw Peter Pan.It was a theatrical masterpiece, staging wise. I was in absolute AWE of how the wires worked so fluidly and were operated with such skill. The set was fantasmagorical and amazing. The actors were super enthusiastic, but I was a little bit unconvinced by the Scottish accent of the narrator. I guess it must be really hard to have a strong Canadian accent and put on any other accent, but actors must do that, it is their job! We spoke to the actors that played Mr & Mrs Darling afterwards and they were lovely!



When we got back to camp, which was late for an out trip (even though we were the first back) we went straight to the Island for food. We had CUTLERY. PLATES. HOT FOOD (which we have had, don't get me wrong, but these were REAL) Metal cutlery, china plates and FRIED CHICKEN things. Glorious! All of this to celebrate our leadership as Rangers. We also received these awesome Ranger bags with Dove products in. They had either realised that we are the smelliest people on the camp, and NEEDED lovely smelling things, or that we needed something just to boost up our feelings since it's been so sweaty and full of hard work helping people.

After our meal, we designed a celebrity resort and went back up to camp for a night literally full of giggles, it was great!



Today has been too warm. It is International Day, so we've spent a big chunk of time doing International Awareness sessions *and* organising our presentation for tonight! Eeep!



It's time for me to go back to the camp and fret about making cups of tea. That, and get some food.





HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUM!



Stay adventurous,

Haze

p.s. Please visit back tomorrow, probably late, I will try to put up pictures, they just aren't cooperating right now.

4 comments:

  1. This is just what I want your blog to be like forever. It's so wonderful hearing from you!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, I just found you because you sign your posts with Stay Adventurous. Could not agree more....

    http://stayadventurous.wordpress.com/

    stay adventurous, Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahahha... "fried chicken things".

    You're awesome Hazel. :)

    ReplyDelete