Friday 9 July 2010

AWESOME!

I'm sitting in a trailer. Writing the official blog for the camp. All suitable and profound blog titles have subsquently evacuated my crazy little noodle. I am so unbelievably excited. Still!





So, having been here for over 50 hours, I feel like I've been here for way longer... and such is the feeling with lots of camps. However, this one is blowing my mind; every hour brings something new!



We all trapsed to Darlington train station at 7:30 am to get the 8:00am train to Manchester Airport (Manchester...AIIII!) and managed to get there without a hitch! Here's us looking tired but seriously buzzing! Our uniforms are seriously snazzy, don't you think?



Our flight was delayed for an hour in the airport, but we managed to entertain ourselves with cards and my 'loosing' of my special prescription sunglasses... by buying some clip on bad boys...



The flight was pretty sweet, I didn't manage to nap as much as I kind of needed to, but the inflight films were pretty sweet (The Blind Side and Up In The Air- oh Clooney....nonmnomnonmonmnmmm) and there was a stream of Queen songs in the arm-rest so I was in a little bubble of my own. The plane food was actually scrummy, even the weird little yellow lemon pudding, despite my resistance to lemon 'flavoured' things! When we got to Toronto, it was about 2 am our time, and without sleep, we were all walking Zombies. I got quite excited because my passport was stamped :D We got on a little hopper type bus with big windows and AIR CONDITIONING and zoomed off to the Guelph Lake Area. As it was so cold in the bus/van THING, we all put on our Monty hoodies. When we arrived, we hit the wall of heat. That's right guys, 33 Degree heat...in hoodies and polo shirts! We looked rather English to say the least. Alongside our uniforms, our neckers also looked majorly mint, and still do! (People keep coming up to us and being like 'you're wearing a different necker...Are you English??!?!? "Sure I am!")


By the time we got to the camp it was like 4 am in the morning for us, but 10/11 in Canada, it was super freaky-out for my body clock. The people in the Ranger Village had put up some two man tents for us, and our little blue over the shoulder bags were filled with useful little things like a bad-donkey torch (or flashlight) and some squares bars and bottles to fill up with allsorts! Basically, we totally crashed out when we got into the tents, and without mats, we slept on the cobbles (rocks and ALL) and just let that be for a fair few hours.


When we woke up at like 6 am, I checked my phone and got dressed into my that'll do shorts (they never seem to get dirty or smelly, they are my saviours!) and my polo shirt from Poacher. It was rather serviceable!


Oh yeah, it rained. TORRENTIALLY. For like 3 hours, but then it stopped and it was cool in the air, and the rest of the day was totally awesome. Our schedules were not in our possession yesterday morning, so we all ventured down to the Island to be assigned some sort of activity... things didn't exactly go swimmingly (I didn't go swimming either...LOL) and we ended up on an awesome school bus to the Zip Line :D It was mint to say the least, and really exhillirating! I got some of the ropes tangled, but I didn't completely ruin anything! Honest! When we got off the awesome, big yellow school bus... I can't actually remember what we did. I think we ate and managed to get back up to our village. Grace is on the Transport section of the Core Crew, so she has a golf buggy. It can't travel faster than a butterfly. She whizzes past us when we're walking to the Island, and it's pretty sweet.


Back to what happened yesterday! I popped down to the Media station trailer for a meeting at 7, and everyone introduced themselves and swapped a few bits and bobs. I'm the only English one in the whole media team, but they're seriously awesome! I finally got to meet Rachel and she's really lovely! A big bunch of us ended up going to the 'Special Evening' event last night, and Kate almost vommed everywhere when the girl next to her did after eating like 7 packets of relish. Major EW! She has a strong stomach. They made me say 'Harry Potter' though, and it was quite funny, because really, my accent is not quintessentially British, but they all love to make me just say words. It's hilarious!



To today! We woke up pretty early, even though when I got back to our little Ranger village last night it was late, and everyone in our group was asleep (I just fell asleep in my day clothes...lazy but noone cares, right?) and finally got our Ranger hats! THEY'RE SO MINT! I love them :D They're like turquoise! I'm really sorry about the lack of supporting pictures, they're on this computer, but take an age to upload. I could wait, just to treat you guys, but I'm really hungry, so I think I'm going to escape to get some BBQ lunch from Alison and sit in the sun and gossip! I think it's our Theme Day today when we get back to the Village, so 70's gear ahoy! For me, this means Vintage 'Lindisfarne' top and my 'comb' shorts. When I bought them, Mum washed them and found they had a comb attached in the pocket. How useful!

Swapping is getting pretty crazy, lots of people keep approaching us and giving us pin badges and crests and cloth badges, and I keep giving out my little Monty badges that Dad and Liz helped me make, with Helen's awesome design, but the bag is seriously depleated!

Off to get some food, I hope to report back soon!

Stay adventurous,

Haze

4 comments:

  1. Hazel, this is genius. I love that you're writing and telling me all this joyous information.
    People getting you to just say words made me chuckle.

    Glad Monty has gone down well. I thought 70 would be enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hazel,so glad to hear your news, the zip-wire experience sounds good! Have a go at posting some pictures please, I so want to see the hats. Enjoy all the new activities and hope you manage to get some sleeeping mats to go under the bags. Still not fathomed how to post without being "anonymous" DFTBA
    Mum and Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're all having a good time.

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh! that sounds so fun! (:

    ReplyDelete